All About Caroline Farmer

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What do you want to be when you grow up?

As a child, you are constantly asked, what do you want to be when you grow up? It is fun to talk about when you are a kid. Here is a timeline of my answers growing up - I wish my wonderful mother was here to help me with this list:

Ages 3/4: After I was old enough to help my grandmother in the kitchen, I wanted to be a baker

Ages 5/6: Zoo Keeper

Ages 7-11: Point guard in the WNBA





Ages 12 - 15: Banker (I really wanted to wear a suite everyday and carry a briefcase. Funny, now I try to avoid wearing a suite at all costs)

Age 16 - Present : Mortgage Loan Officer

People don't believe me when I tell them that I have always wanted to be a Mortgage Lender. Why would they? Who grows up with that career in mind? I have been lucky with all of my jobs. When I was 16 years old, I started working as a teller at what was then Orangeburg National Bank. I loved it. I felt important. All of my friends were summer nannys and lifeguards (super tan). Not me, I was getting dressed up everyday and learning the banking industry. In my mind, I was pretty much a Vice President and almost to suite status. During my first summer as a teller, I decided that I wanted to study finance and be a lender. Lending interested me the most in banking. My parents then sold our house and went through the loan process for our home in St. Matthews - yes, Mortgage Lending was exactly what I wanted to do. I decided to take all my finance electives in RE. It was interesting.

I really didn't have solid plans for my career my senior year before graduating from Clemson. I knew Justin and I wanted to stay together, but I didn't know he would propose as early as he did! Wow, there were a lot of decisions to be made. Then, my mom was diagnosed with cancer - decision easy: we were coming home. I helped her with The Cannon Company for a few months (something I said I would NEVER do growing up). I absolutely 100% knew that is not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I started calling around to the local banks looking for something/anything. Nothing available around here if you want to lend....:-(. We have something in HR that you might like. OK? I guess I will try it. I have to do something....I am getting married in a couple of months! I did like it! I worked with wonderful people. As my personal life finally started to settle down after several years of hardship, I started taking a look at myself. I had been so focused on others since I graduated from college. I had not taken a look at my life and what made me happy. Time is moving quick. I liked my job, but I didn't want it forever......

It is amazing to see God work in your life and how everything fits into his timeline for you. I struggle daily with letting go of worries and control and giving it all to him. He has proven time and time again that he will take care of me.

Here I am, a licensed Mortgage Lender at Kwest Mortgage. I have a long way to go to make a name for myself in this industry, but that is exactly what I plan to do. I am giving 110% to this opportunity.
 

If you have any suggestions for me on "how to make it" please email me or leave a comment! I am sincerely interested to hear your thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment